Matthew started working as a professional copywriter and copy editor, but his strong desire to make a difference in his community led him to the field of education as a teaching assistant, providing him invaluable, hands-on experience in the classroom. During that time, Matthew helped teach a diverse group of students and craft curriculum for subjects including English language arts, social studies, and science. Joining the CSA team in 2016, Matthew brought with him a fresh perspective, along with unique skills and experience, that he continues to employ in his work as an editor.
Matthew writes, edits, and collaborates with other experts in the industry to develop quality educational materials designed to benefit both students and teachers.
The projects he has worked on relate to the following:
- Developing SE and TE materials for grades K–5
- Composing creative and engaging decodable stories
- Writing entertaining and interesting articles for educational magazines
- Crafting effective curriculum for ELA, social studies, and socio-emotional instruction
- Designing helpful scaffolding for ELLs and struggling readers
- Creating phonics and phonological awareness activities and lessons
- Producing educational materials that meet and exceed rigorous state and national standards
Matthew graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts and Sciences from the University of Illinois at Chicago, majoring in psychology and minoring in English. After working as a teaching assistant, Matthew pursued graduate-level studies in education at Northern Illinois University while also volunteering as a tutor for students at local middle and high schools.