Alignment Services Manager
Prior to joining the Alignment Services department at CSA in 2016, Colin taught in the classroom for nearly five years. Mainly teaching ELA and Special Education, Colin focused on improving education that went beyond curriculum. He assisted in developing a work-study program for students with special needs, designing new curriculum in the process to bridge learning beyond the classroom. In his current role, Colin works with clients to gauge the effectiveness of learning materials in both print and digital formats and to ensure these products align to changing state and national standards.
Colin has collaborated on projects for both independent and larger publishers, including Pearson, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, and McGraw-Hill Education. Colin gained WIDA Prime V2 certification to assess the effectiveness of materials for ESL/ELL students specifically.
He has worked on a wide variety of projects since transitioning from educator to developer:
- Helping align a large-scale content alignment database to national and state standards
- Assessing materials for effectiveness with ELL/ESL student demographics
- Providing gap analyses for curriculum materials, using classroom and alignment knowledge
- Creating and building K–6 student activities such as puzzles, assessments, and graphics
- Crafting lesson plans that align to specific language learning standards
- Aligning state standards with diverse materials, content matter, and publication style
- Worked previously in product development and implementation of a digital math platform
Colin left the classroom five years ago to learn more about the development of educational materials, hoping to make a difference in learning achievement from the outside. Still a certified educator for grades 6–12, Colin received a BA in English from Loyola University Chicago and an MA in Secondary Education from Northeastern Illinois University.